alpla trucks

Company

History

Over 60 years ago, the brothers Helmuth and Alwin Lehner founded the company ‘Alpenplastik Lehner Alwin GmbH’. Their initial assets consisted of courage, hard work and an injection moulding machine acquired at low cost. They converted the laundry room in their parents’ home into a production hall, and they were grateful for every helping hand they got. Their passion for technical challenges remains unparalleled to this day and is one of the cornerstones of our company’s history.

1955

alpla history

Company is founded as ‘Alpenplastik Lehner Alwin GmbH’ in Hard (Austria).

1958

Alwin Lehner designs and builds the company’s first in-house machine – the legendary Alplamat. The continuous development of this series of machines forms the basis for the technology leadership of ALPLA.

1958

The first bottle for glass cleaners produced by the Siegel company.

1964

First branch outside of Austria opens in Markdorf (Germany).

1968

First plant in Latin America opens in San Joaquin (Venezuela).

1975

The company now has six branches in three countries, with around 1,200 employees.

1985

First in-house plant in Lomazzo (Italy): bottles are produced here directly at the customer’s bottling facility, with numerous environmental and economic benefits.

1985

PET takes over from PVC (polyvinyl chloride) as a packaging material; ALPLA develops the first two-step PET bottle.

1988

The ALPLA Global Technical Center opens in Hard.

1990

Expansion into Eastern Europe (Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Russia).

1990

post consumer recycling material

The first PCR bottle (PCR = post-consumer recycling) from ALPLA represents the prototype of a completely new type of product: this 1,000-millilitre bottle for Lenor is made from recycled plastic.

1995

company expansion employees

The company now has 29 branches in 15 countries, with around 3,000 employees.

2001

technical center atlanta georgia

First plant in the USA opens in Atlanta, Georgia; first plant in Asia opens in Bangkok (Thailand).

2005

ALPLA becomes a joint-venture partner in a PET recycling plant in Toluca (Mexico).

2007

technical center shanghai

ALPLA opens its 100th plant in China.

2010

PET recycling team wöllersdorf austria

ALPLA acquires a majority shareholding in the Austrian company PET Recycling Team GmbH in Wöllersdorf. ALPLA expands its expertise in relation to recycling.

2012

PET recycling plant Rodomsko Poland

Construction of an ALPLA PET recycling plant in Radomsko (southern Poland).

2014

technical center Toluca Mexico

Opening of Regional Technical Center with modern training workshop in Mexico; first plant opens in Africa, Kempton Park (South Africa).

2015

preforms

Acquisition of Plasco S.P.A. (Italy) and Argo S.A. (Egypt).

2016

acquisition of egyptian taba group

Acquisition of Egyptian Taba Group; opening of Competence Center Shanghai with apprenticeship workshop.

2017

Opening of site in 10th of Ramadan City (Egypt); acquisition of West Bend (USA), Propack (Italy) and Boxmore Packaging (Africa).

2018

ALPLA purchases all shares in the Greek company Argo S.A. thus expanding its activities in south-eastern Europe and expertise in pharmaceutical packaging.